Other modern antidepressants
There are antidepressants that do not belong to any of the three groups, because they differ from them both in chemical composition and in the mechanism of action. These are, in particular,
- Bupropion (Wellbutrin); it has a large number of side effects, and also has a sedative effect as TCAs. It is well tolerated by people suffering from recurring depressions with hypomania (mild mania depression).
- Trazodone (Desirel); it has a good sedative effect. Its main disadvantage is that it causes so called priapism or a painful prolonged erection that often requires surgical intervention.
There are more recent drugs such as
- Venlafaxine hydrochloride (Effor); possible side effects are headaches, drowsiness, dizziness.
- Nefazodone hydrochloride (Sezeron); increases the concentration of serotonin and norepinephrine. Possible side effects are lethargy, low blood pressure, and disorder of accommodation.
- Mitrazin (Remeron); went on sale in 1996. It stimulates the release of serotonin and norepinephrine and simultaneously blocks serotonin receptors. Possible side effects are as follows: drowsiness, increased appetite, weight gain and dizziness.